Organic Highback Chair in Cosy Fabric by Eames & Saarinen210 009 F80 12 10
The Organic Chair – a small and comfortable reading chair – was developed in several versions for the 1940 ‘Organic Design in Home Furnishings’ competition organized by the Museum of Modern Art in New York. With its sculptural shapes, the design was ahead of the times. But due to the absence of suitable manufacturing techniques, the armchair never went into production. Not until 1950 did it become possible to manufacture and market organically shaped seat shells in large quantities, as exemplified by Charles and Ray Eames‘s famous Plastic Armchair or Saarinen‘s Tulip Chair.
The Organic Chair is also available in a version with an extended backrest and longer, wider armrests – the Organic Highback armchair, seen here. The Organic Conference version can be used as table seating.
Available in other fabrics here.
- Design: Charles Eames + Eero Saarinen
- Design Year: 1940
- Material: Laminated seat shell
- Upholstery: Polyurethane foam with F80-Cosy 2 fabric
- Legs: Black ash or natural oak, with protective varnish
- Dimensions: H 42.25" x D 40" x W 33.5" x Seat: 14" H
- Special order - lead time 12-16 weeks
- Email email@example.com for current lead time