PH 2/1 Pendant by Louis Poulsen5741925300
Poul Henningsen drew the models for his first PH lamps in collaboration with Louis Poulsen in 1924, where he developed the famous three-shade system. He was not primarily driven by the wish of designing aesthetic lamps, but instead to create the optimal light, to create a lampshade that emitted a functional, pleasant, and glare-free light. His work with Louis Poulsen continued until his death in 1967 and throughout his life, PH sought to create glare-free lighting, aiming to direct light where it was most needed and creating soft shadows while using incandescent bulbs as a light source.
The PH 2/1 Pendant is a member of the three-shade family and is one of 19 versions available today. PH was the first person to pursue a scientific approach to light and use the logarithmic spiral as a basis. By using a design based on the logarithmic spiral, he achieved even distribution of light over the entire curve of the shade. This even light distribution, together with the diffuse reflection through the glass, made it possible to control glare and shadow.
The PH light model numbers refer to the shade size. Each top shade had a corresponding set of middle and lower shades. In the pure models, such as the 2/2, the top shade has a size of about 20 cm, with corresponding lower shades. The PH 2/1 Pendant consists of an approximately 20 cm top shade, but uses lower shades from the 1/1 model. These hybrid models were introduced due to the desire to hang the pendants at lower heights.
The fixture design is based on the principle of a reflective three-shade system, which directs the majority of the light downwards. The shades are made of hand-blown, opal, three-layer glass, which is glossy on top and sandblasted matte on the underside, giving a soft and uniform light distribution.
- Manufacturer: Louis Poulsen
- Design: Poul Henningsen
- Design Year: 1925
- Material: Shades: Handblown white opal glass (sandblasted on the undersides for uniform light distribution). Suspension: Black metalized or high lustre chrome plated, spun aluminum.
- Cord Length: 12' (3-conductor, 18 AWG black PVC power cord)
- Canopy: White
- Bulb (not included): 1 x G16.5/Candelabra (E12)/40W/120V Incandescent
- Dimensions: Ø 7.9" x H 5.5"
- UL Listed
- Made in Denmark
- Ships in 1-8 weeks depending upon stock availability
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for current lead time