PH Wall Light by Louis Poulsen5743909489
Poul Henningsen drew the models for his first PH lamps in collaboration with Louis Poulsen in 1924, where he developed the famous three-shade system. He was not primarily driven by the wish of designing aesthetic lamps, but instead to create the optimal light, to create a lampshade that emitted a functional, pleasant, and glare-free light. His work with Louis Poulsen continued until his death in 1967 and throughout his life, PH sought to create glare-free lighting, aiming to direct light where it was most needed and creating soft shadows while using incandescent bulbs as a light source.
PH Wall Light is a member of the three-shade family and is one of 19 versions available today. Approximately one thousand different models have been produced over the years and consisted of table, floor and wall lamps, as well as a number of different chandeliers - which were very popular in the 1930s for lighting private homes from high ceilings. PH was the first person to pursue a scientific approach to light and use the logarithmic spiral as a basis. By using a design based on the logarithmic spiral, he achieved even distribution of light over the entire curve of the shade. This even light distribution, together with the diffuse reflection through the glass, made it possible to control glare and shadow. The PH light model numbers refer to the shade size.
The fixture is designed based on the principle of a reflective three-shade system, which directs the light downwards. The shades have a matte white painted inside to ensure diffuse, comfortable light distribution.
- Manufacturer: Louis Poulsen
- Design: Poul Henningsen
- Design Year: 1966
- Material: Spun copper. Please note that the copper surface is untreated in order to achieve a verdigris finish over time. This can result in an inconsistent surface finish prior to the product achieving full patina. This process might have begun already during stocking/ transportation.
- Mounting: Surface. Mounted directly to finished surface over a recessed 4” octagonal junction box. Requires three bolts on 5.2IN circle.
- Bulb (not included): 1 x A19/Medium (E26)/15W/120V LED
- Dimensions: W 17.7" x H 11.4" x D 19.9"
- UL Listed Wet Location
- Made in Denmark
- Ships in 1-8 weeks depending upon stock availability
- Please email email@example.com for current lead time