PH 80 Floor Lamp by Louis Poulsen10000120853
Poul Henningsen drew the models for his first PH lamps in collaboration with Louis Poulsen in 1924, where he developed the famous three-shade system. He was not primarily driven by the wish of designing aesthetic lamps, but instead to create the optimal light, to create a lampshade that emitted a functional, pleasant, and glare-free light. His work with Louis Poulsen continued until his death in 1967 and throughout his life, PH sought to create glare-free lighting, aiming to direct light where it was most needed and creating soft shadows while using incandescent bulbs as a light source.
PH was the first person to pursue a scientific approach to light and use the logarithmic spiral as a basis. By using a design based on the logarithmic spiral, he achieved even distribution of light over the entire curve of the shade. This even light distribution, together with the diffuse reflection through the glass, made it possible to control glare and shadow. The material for PH 80 is opal acrylic, and the top shade is red to provide warm and atmospheric lighting. The light model number does not refer to the top shade diameter as is normally the case for three-shade models. The light was created in 1974 after PH’s death to mark 80 years since his birth – hence the name PH 80.
The fixture emits diffused and symmetrical light. The majority of the light is directed downwards, and the opal acrylic shades provide comfortable room lighting. The red hue of the top reflector helps give the light a warmer glow.
- Manufacturer: Louis Poulsen
- Design: Poul Henningsen
- Design Year: 1974
- Material: Shades: High pressure molded white opal acrylic / Top shade: Black, high pressure molded polycarbonate / Base: Black, high pressure molded ABS / Stem: High lustre chrome plated steel
- Cord Length: 9' (Black)
- Switch: On/off switch on cord
- Bulb (not included): 1 x A21/Medium (E26)/72W/120V Incandescent
- Dimensions: Ø 21.7" x H 51.8"
- UL Listed
- Made in Denmark
- Ships in 1-8 weeks depending upon stock availability
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for current lead time